Whether you are interested in going for colonic hydrotherapy or you have just finished your first colonic irrigation treatment…. The questions most new clients ask us are:
- How will I feel straight after a colonic treatment?
- What can I expect in the days following the colonic irrigation?
- What are good foods to eat post colonic?
Most clients feel an immediate sense of clarity and lightness, a feeling of joy and lessening of pressure within their body. Due to the gut brain connection, the condition of your gut can directly affect your emotions. It is therefore normal to leave a colonic hydrotherapy session in a complete different mindset compared to what you’ve arrived with. There is often a better capacity for breathing, a flattening of the abdominal area combined with a feeling of much more space, and a great sense of tranquillity. Besides allowing the body to remove toxic wastes that have been burdening the system, the most common occurrence after a colonic is a slight delay in bowel movements for a few days, followed by easier more frequent eliminations. This is mostly due to the rebalancing of the colon after massive amounts of waste have been eliminated, but it could also suggest an overall weakness in the colon muscles. Colonic Irrigation can help strengthen peristalsis, thus more colonics may be indicated to help strengthen the colon muscles.
Sometimes clients report that they don’t feel that different following a colonic treatment. The treatment is massively hydrating and cleansing to the whole body. This is often visually noticed post treatment, particularly when a client is dehydrated. Every colonic experience is as unique as the people that are providing the treatment. As an ex triple qualified nurse with 30 years public health experience ARCH, the Association of Registered Colon Hydrotherapists was my first choice as my training institution. It is the oldest colon training institution in the UK. Always make sure your therapist is a fully qualified registered and insured professional. A qualified therapist will always take a general medical history, perform a mini medical, blood pressure check and give good nutrition and lifestyle advice according to the clients requirements.
It is important to rest and drink plenty of water following the colonic treatment to allow your body to flush out the toxins and heal itself. In the few days following the colonic hydrotherapy, patients can experience aches, pains, headache, nausea, or fatigue. This is known in the naturopathy arena as healing crisis due to the stirring up of toxins and is usually a temporary experience. If this happens, be as gentle on yourself as possible. We also suggest following the food guidelines below.
Suggestions during home recovery
- Drink lemon water
- Take probiotic supplements
- Take Epsom salt baths
- Take time to rest,
- Drink natural herbal digestive teas
Beneficial foods for after your colonic hydrotherapy
- Fruits and fresh fruit juices, preferably organic
- Beneficial foods to eat directly after your session:
- Chamomile, peppermint, and ginger teas
- Fresh vegetable juices, green smoothies
- Fish and free-range poultry
- Green leafy vegetables (kale, spinach, mustard greens)
- Colourful vegetables and fruits (raspberries, blackberries, orange/red peppers, yams)
- Miso soup, organic vegetable soups, bean soups
- Nuts and seeds (soaked)
- Sweet potato, winter squash
- Seasonal organic vegetables
- Whole grains (brown rice, millet, quinoa, amaranth)
- Raw foods
- Purified and distilled water
- Kefir, coconut water
- Foods that are more alkaline
We hope the above provides you with peach of mind in terms of what to expect post colonic hydrotherapy. If you would like more information about the treatment, or would like to book a colonic irrigation appointment, contact our clinic and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.